R&D department consists of two teams, one specialised in sensor & biometrics technologies and the other in data science & cybersecurity aspects. The key activities of both teams include the design and development of innovative product lines and technologies. Moreover, ITTI’s R&D composition features two competence centres comprising experts in such domains as crisis management as well as communication and computer networks. Their responsibility is to aid R&D activities in their areas of expertise and propose new solutions that can be used to improve our products.
Sensor Technology and Biometrics Team
Sensor Technology and Biometrics Team is involved exclusively in R&D activities for the biggest institutions in Europe including European Commission (EC) and European Defence Agency (EDA). Joining efforts with prime research institutes, industry and universities in Europe, the team contributes to international research and development of innovative solutions.
The core competences of Sensor Technology and Biometrics Team include:
- design and development of surveillance networks as well as image processing and analysis
- biometric-based technologies, including on-the-move biometric identification
- CBRNe defence solutions (including detection, threat monitoring and recovery technologies)
- machine learning solutions (including neural network and evolutionary algorithms)
- algorithms supporting networks of sensors (data fusion, sensor deployment optimization)
- scene reconstruction and advanced visualization of the operational environment
- advanced sensor communication solutions
- autonomous remote sensing platforms design and development (including UGVs and RPAS)
- sensor development (e.g acoustic detectors system)
- design and development of high level network of sensor management platforms
This multi-disciplinary team consists of software and hardware engineers, machine learning engineers, project managers, and business/IT analysts.
Data Science and Cybersecurity Team
Data Science and Cybersecurity Team is focused exclusively on the R&D activities and international collaboration in the field of ICT, advanced data analysis and cybersecurity. The team is known for its rich experience in R&D activities carried out for European Commission (EC), European Defence Agency (EDA) and The European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA), as well as national research programmes.
The main focus of the team includes research on innovative solutions to enhance current capabilities in the areas of cybersecurity and network anomaly detection e.g. by applying innovative machine learning, lifelong learning and pattern recognition techniques.
Moreover, Data Science and Cybersecurity Team has technical expertise in such areas as:
- information management
- cybercrime and cyberterrorism prevention
- privacy and data protection (incl. GDPR)
- critical infrastructure protection and crisis management
- security of cyber-physical systems
- roadmapping activities and national security
- (big) data processing, analysis and visualization
- software quality optimization (including security aspects)
- network threats and vulnerability assessment
- advanced data analysis for counterterrorism and safety applications
- design and development of dedicated portals for security tools assessment
The team comprises software engineers, cybersecurity experts as well as project managers.
Crisis Management Competence Centre
Crisis Management Competence Centre is a group of experts involved in research and development activities within the framework of European Commission (EC) projects. In most cases, the competence centre plays a role of IT partner or a contact point to Polish stakeholders. Overall, the centre has experience in the following areas:
- crisis management and civil protection
- critical situations modelling and simulation
- fight against crime and terrorism
- vessels movement patterns analysis
- cascade effects analysis
- applied games
The competence centre closely cooperates with numerous commercial and academic partners all over Europe. Moreover, it offers a wide range of services including design and development of specialised web-based, desktop and mobile applications that meet clients requirements and achieve desired Technology Readiness Level (TRL).
The Communications and Computer Networks Competence Centre
The Communications and Computer Networks Competence Centre carries out R&D activities in the areas of information and communication technologies, and security. The competence centre is involved in projects mainly for European Commission (EC), European Defence Agency (EDA), The European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) and national projects. The core competences include:
- QoS/QoE software solutions
- design and development of new communication solutions
- design and development of software for network management
- hardware-in-the-loop simulation
- new protocol implementation
- communication simulation software
The competence centre comprises a diversified group of experts with different background who recently have been focusing on 5G network and a number of related aspects.
ITTI has been involved in numerous R&D projects over the past 15 years, participating in Framework Programmes 5, 6 and 7. Most recently, research activities concentrate around Societal Challenges pillar within Horizon2020, EU’s Programme for Research and Innovation, with total budget of 30 billion Euro. We focus on Secure Societies – Protecting Freedom and Security of Europe and its Citizens theme, offering innovative know-how in the field of automated border control solutions, border security, surveillance, cybersecurity, digital privacy, design and development of dedicated software solutions as well as data protection. Cooperating with international consortia, ITTI develops and optimizes technologies and processes to meet user needs and expectations.
European Defence Agency
ITTI participates in EDA’s Research and Technology investments via the EDA Capability Technology groups “CapTechs” and CBRN Joint Investment Programme (JIP CBRN). Within these programmes, ITTI offers wide expertise in sensor network and sensor deployment optimisation tools development. We provide technology research and solutions development that could support military operations and personnel protection. ITTI contributes to EDA research topics on chemical threats detection and sensor networking by utilising research-based knowledge about current challenges and demands in the field of CBRNe.
The National Centre for Research and Development
ITTI has been also engaged in national initiatives conducted for the National Centre for Research and Development. ITTI responds to the calls released under defence & security programme, which usually require development of novel technologies for national security improvement.
ITTI has numerous international contacts and cooperation partners amongst foreign authorities, research institutes, universities and companies. Selected list of such partners is presented below:
- Polish Border Guard Headquarters
- Polish Ministry of Internal Affairs
- Romanian Border Police
- Hungarian National Police
- Finnish Border Guard
- Police Service of Northern Ireland
- International Centre for Migration Policy Development
- Police Academy in Szczytno
- State Border Guard of the Republic of Latvia
- Hlavne mesto Slovenskej republiky Bratislava
- Ayuntamiento de Bilbao
- OC Oldham Metropolitan District Council
- Polícia Judiciária
- Departament d'Interior - Generalitat de Catalunya
- Ministerio da Administracao Interna
- Ecole Nationale Superieure de la Police
- North Yorkshire Police
- Bayern Police
- Ghent Police
- Voorkempen Police
- Hellenic Police
- Fondazione Scuola Interrigionale di Polizia Locale
- Joint Research Centre
- Austrian Institute of Technology
- Swedish Defence Research Agency
- Norwegian Defence Research Establishment
- Netherlands Organisation for applied scientific research
- Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd.
- German Aerospace Center
- Centre for Applied Science and Technology (Home Office)
- Innovalia Group
- BC3 Basque Centre for Climate Change - Klima Aldaketa Ikergai
- TerraSpatium SA
- Institute of Baltic Studies
- Future Analytics Consulting Limited
- Centro de Estudos para a Intervencao Social
- National Center for Scientific Research Demokritos
- Poznań Supercomputing and Networking Centre
- University of Oxford
- University of Reading
- University of Salzburg
- University of Namur
- University of Leuven
- University of Stuttgart
- University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
- Military University of Technology, Warsaw
- Military Communication Institute, Warsaw
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- The Main School of Fire Service, Warsaw
- Universitat Politècnica de València
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
- University of Oulu
- National Interuniversity Consortium for Informatics, Naples
- Internationales Zentrum für Ethik in den Wissenschaften
- Leibniz University in Hannover
- The Estonian Academy of Security Sciences
- National University of Ireland Galway
- Universite Paris 8 Vincennes Saint-Denis
- Univerzita Komenskeho V Bratislave
- Leonardo S.p.A.
- Rheinmetall Defence
- Safran Group
- Nokia Solutions and Networks OY
- Veridos GmbH
- European Dynamics
- Magnetic GmbH & Co. KG
- Technisch-Mathematische Studiengesellschaft mbH
- TELETEL S.A.
- Giesecke & Devrient
- Amper, S.A.
- ATOS SE
- Bittium Wireless Ltd.
- Arcadis Nederland BV
- Altus LSA
- Expert System